So a couple of weeks ago I realised I had made a hideous paper piecing miscalculation…. it all started in December last year when I had lots of time sitting around hospitals with my darling husband. I wanted to bring hand work but my hexie pelt…
..had become unruly and unmanageable. I had taken the cardboard papers out of the center to help make it easier to handle but it was too big for me to keep adding hexies easily. The solution was of course to start a second pelt that I could just sew to the first pelt when it got big enough. Great solution right?….
In theory yes… in practice I stuffed it up big time. Fast forward five months and I go to attach the second pelt only to discover my second pelt would not fit my first pelt. The two pieces would not align no matter what way I put them. My huge miscalculation resulted in a tantrum, lots of tears and copious amounts of swearing.
My darling husband, who has claimed the hexagon pelt as his quilt, tried to comfort me…but somehow failed to grasp the complete heart ache of spending months hand sewing something together only to realise you are going to have to unpick it all. The worst bit was that I had removed all but a few of the papers which made the flowers almost impossible to reattach to the main pelt… it is very tricky to get neat, even stitches without the cardboard supporting the hexagon.
So I put everything aside, not sure when I would be ready to face the horrible task ahead of me, and uncertain about what to do with the hexagons that could not be re-attached. Then Sunday it dawned on me what I needed to do….
The idea came from a special quilt that was made for Rachel of Stitched in Color…. I had made hexagons for this quilt and watched it slowly come together. This was the solution to my problem.
And so I have started gluing….
and sewing my hexagons onto a 6 1/2 inch square low volume background…
and I am loving the effect.
I will have enough flowers from my second pelt mishap to make a baby quilt. I can not tell you how excited I am to find such a pretty solution to my issues. I have definitely made lemonade out of those lemons!