It has been a few weeks since I last posted but I promise I have a good excuse. I hurt my shoulder about 6 weeks ago and have struggled to do simple things with limited use of my right hand. It really made quilting a slow and painful process. I desperately wanted to sew but could only stand short stints. So it took me a few weeks to finish the piecing and quilting on my latest creation.
My inspiration for this quilt was a fun floral fabric I had found at Joann’s and I built the quilt around the colours from that fabric, using mainly scraps from my collection. I made a collection of different square blocks, just doing what ever took my fancy.
Then for some reason I decided that it would be a good idea, with a sore neck and shoulder, to stipple quilt the finished quilt top. Madness I know. I have only stipple quilted twice before, and I believe both times I swore never to do it again. For those that do not know, stipple quilting is process of free hand quilting a random, rambling pattern onto the quilt like this…
So over the course of the last couple of nights I have battled with my machine and my disobedient arm, to finish the quilting. A couple of times I thought about unpicking it all but that just seemed crazy. As I look at the finished top I am not thrilled with it at all. If I could do it all again I would do something different but as my husband pointed out to me, some kid is going to get this quilt and love it.
So now I just have to do the binding and it will be ready for delivery to Project Linus. Hopefully it’s new owner will not see all the quilting mistakes I do.