This week I finished the first of the quilts that I am dragging back to Australia in November. I know I am cutting it close, but I am a girl who works well with a looming deadline…
This darling quilt, made using just Heather Ross’s Briar Rose and Kona white, is for my cousin’s daughter, Annabel. I started it in October last year (I really am slow to finish stuff without a deadline), and you can find out more about the pattern on my original post.
A few years ago I made Annabel a baby quilt, but never got it to her (I am also slow to post things!). After she was no longer a baby, I gave her quilt to Project Linus and started making this quilt… which is much more young lady appropriate.
I used about 1/4 yard of each of the fabrics in the line, which means I still have enough of the fabric in my stash to make something else. I love these prints, but am particularly smitten by the bees…
For the quilting I used some of the lines of the block as a guide and ended up with a really cool pattern of stitches, some straight and some diagonal.
I pieced together a back using a large cut of one of the floral prints and some little bits of my favorite strawberry prints…. and finished it all off with some scrappy pink binding…
So one Aussie bound quilt done, two to go!
Pattern: Labyrinth by Red Pepper Quilts
Fabric: Briar Rose by Windham Fabrics
Size: 52 x 52 inches
I managed to finish up my Briar Rose Quilt top this week… and I am loving how it came together.
It really helps that I am using Heather Ross’s marvelous fabric line, Briar Rose and a great block pattern, Labyrinth by Red Pepper Quilts. If you want to read more about the block and the start of this quilt you can check out my original post.
The block is traditionally pieced, there was not a piece of paper in sight. My seams are a little squiffy in places but the pattern is so easy to follow and so forgiving it did not take me long to whip this top up.
It was an interesting process for me using the whole line of fabric and not my usual scraps. If I “blocked” myself into a colour/pattern corner I had very limited choices to get myself out (usually I just add another fabric from my stash!). I wanted to use all the fabrics in the line as equally as possible, but also wanted to get the subtle hint of a light block/dark block pattern in the top. I found myself fudging the last couple of blocks to make this work.
I really had to be careful not to use the strawberry fabrics too much. They are my favorite of this collection and I found myself wanting to put them in every block.
And at the end of this process I have enough scraps left to play some more with the Briar Rose line. Yipee!