It has been over a year since I have blogged and what a year it has been. Like everyone else I have hunkered down in my house, venturing out only when absolutely necessary. You would think this would mean a flurry of quilting activity but it has not. Like so many I have found it hard to be creative in lockdown… and I have made a LOT of masks.
So to try and break out of this rut I thought I would share a few quilts with you that have been finished in the last year. When I actually looked at what I had shared and what I had not I realized there was quite a bit of stuff that you have not seen… so we are going to start with this beauty…
This quilt was made a one of the Portland Modern Quilt Guild (PMQG) charity sew days… back when we had charity sew days… oh I miss those days and that wonderful group of ladies. Anyway I digress…
The block was a simple nine patch block with an extra background row on two sides of the nine patch. I love adding the background to the block as it allows for lots of fun negative space when you lay out the quilt. If you are not sure what I mean look at my Bee Block post from May 2018. I used the same technique when I made the wonky star blocks.
I used a ton of pre-cut 3 1/2 inch squares… I have got in the habit of “processing” my scraps through the Accuquilt die cut machine and so have boxes and boxes of squares. 3 1/2 are my favorite size and I have made lots of charity quilts with them.
For this quilt we wanted to be gender neutral and a little more teen than kids – so I picked a black/dark grey printed background with white and cream prints for the cross parts. The center squares were all solid fabrics in shades of aqua.
The quilting on the quilt added a wonderful layer to this design, echoing the squares of the quilt in the pattern of the quilting. I am always in awe of the amazing group of long armers who help make these charity quilts. Their talents always add so much to the finished product. This quilt was donated to last years Camp Erin where I hope it gave comfort to a grieving camper.
Of course I must finish up with a the obligatory shot of Mr Wombat’s pinkies. These photos were taken last year before lock down and he was such a good sport as we drove around town looking for interesting walls to photograph things against. I am hoping to convince him to come with me to photograph a new batch of quilts in the coming week – of course while we wear masks and social distance.
Block: 12 inch Floating nine patch
Fabric: Scraps and selection of Kona solids.
Quilt Size: 60 x 72 inches