Over the last couple of weeks I have been doing some pattern testing for the fabulous Sara at Knottygnome. The block I have been playing with is called Cross Stitch Sparkle…
It is a block made up of half square triangles, lots and lots of HST’s. When I got the pattern I was umming and ahhing about what colours to do and what scraps to use… you know my usual style. In the end I decided to do something completely different for me and go with solids.
I used just Kona for the white fabric but I really raided my solids stash for the rest – there is Kona and Couture Cotton and Bella Solids and who knows what else in this block.
With Sara’s pattern she gives directions on two different ways to make HST’s. I went with the version that makes 2 at a time because I wanted the colour variety and I was not making a huge quilt.
Sara’s other directions make 8 HST’s at a time and would be very handy if you were making a full quilt out of this pattern. Each block is 18 inches square so I made 4 blocks and called it good…
I now have a fabulous wall hanging or baby quilt…. I am not sure which one it is yet! Sara’s pattern goes live next week on her website if you are interested. The block is really easy and the resulting quilt top is striking.
I am linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.
This week we had another Portland Modern Quilt Guild Charity Sew day…and this time I had everyone making wonky pinwheels…loud, wonky, scrappy, fun pinwheels…
We started with a stack of Riley Blake solid grey squares and a huge pile of orange, yellow and red scraps. You may be having a feeling of deja vu because a couple of months ago I made a version of these blocks for Do.Good.Stitches.
Both these blocks used the fabulous tutorial from Greenleaf Goods but for the Charity Sew Day I went with 5 inch base block rather than 4 inch. After a day of sewing, our small but productive team had 30 pinwheel blocks, each measuring 9 1/2 inches, done and dusted.
I then took them all home and sewed them together to make this…
So many fun fabrics were used… all warm and bright. This is such a fabulous quilt to make if you want to use those piles of scraps you have accumulated…
Our finished quilt measures 45 inches x 54 inches and will now head out to be quilted and bound before heading to our Charity for this quarter, Raphael House.
I am also pleased to say the cat has inspected the quilt top and deigned that it is acceptable..
This week I found in my stash a yard of fabric I bought a year or so ago because I fell in love the artwork on it. It from Suzy Ultman’s “Appleville” range for Robert Kaufman.
I often buy fun printed fabric because I love it, but do not really know what I am going to do with it. I struggled a lot with this fabric in particular because it is blocks of different prints, not an overall pattern. I know I could have cheated and just used it as part of a backing fabric, but that would not show the fun prints off to their best advantage.
So this week to challenge myself, I pulled the fabric out of my stash, determined to make a quilt out of it. I cut the individual printed sections of the fabric out and went to work.
I grabbed some Kona white, some graphic bright prints and started playing.
As I finish a block it goes up on the design wall with the others.
Slowly but surely a quilt top is starting to emerge.
The blocks are all different shapes and sizes so the layout will be free form.
And there will be a lot of white used as the background fabric.
But in the end I hope to have a fun quilt top finished, quilted and bound for Friday.
Wish me luck…