This week I finally finished another quilt… I mean completely finished – quilting and binding and all. I have been pumping out the blocks and tops but have been a little lacking on finishes… until now. So without further ado here is my Les Monsieur quilt…
This was a fast and fun quilt to put together, I made the top in February in very little time (see my original post) but it spent months sitting in the “must finish” pile. For this quilt, I started with a handful of the prints from Michael Miller’s fabulous Les Monsieur line and some coordinating fabrics from my stash.
I then spent a few hours making log cabin blocks, all 9 1/2 inches square but with random sized logs/sashing. What I love about this type of quilt top is that it is a great way to highlight a fun novelty print line…and I always start by cutting out blocks of just the prints (giving you instantly 3 – 4 blocks to start).
Then I fussy cut some of the novelty prints for the center of the blocks and go to work. It is just fun putting everything together, of course making sure that there is some lights (in this case white) and darks (navy blue and a touch of brown).
If there are any of the focus prints left over I tend to incorporate them into the back of the quilt.
This quilt was delivered yesterday to Project Linus and is one of my entries into this years 100 Quilts for Kids drive.
For the last couple of years I have been a part of the 100 Quilts for Kids drive that Katie Blakesley of SwimBikeQuilt set up. The idea is simple, for the months of August and September you are encouraged to make a quilt and donate it to a child/teen in your own community.
This year the quilt drive is being hosted by Quilts in the Queue and there are some beautiful quilts that have already been donated …. oh did I mention you can also win some lovely prizes by donating a quilt and then linking a photo to the 100 Quilts for Kids site?
Yesterday I dropped off some quilts to Project Linus, including my finish for the week, a simple patchwork quilt…
A few weeks ago our local chapter put a call out for baby quilts the same day I bought a half yard of the most darling print from Michael Miller’s “Wee Wanders” range.
Using this print as inspiration, I pulled some supporting fabrics in blue, green and aqua, cut some 5 inch squares and went to work.
I of course thru in some of my trusty favorites – can you spot the Mirrorball and the Pearl Bracelets?
I went with simple straight line quilting in a diagonal grid. Nothing fancy but I like the detail it brings to the simple squares.
The backing is a single piece of fabric from my stash… that is one of the joys of a baby quilt, you can usually just pull a yard or so from your stash and you are good – no extra piecing needed. The final touch was simple electric blue binding.
The quilt was delivered yesterday to Project Linus for processing. It will then be sent out into the world to do some good.
It has been over a month since I posted my last finished quilt and I am feeling a little slack for not finishing something up sooner… life really just kept getting in the way. But after some quilting and binding I am pleased to present…
…my baby blue log cabin quilt. This quilt was made using scraps left over from the quilt I made my sister-in-law and the top was put together in record time… and then just sat with my other UFO’s until I took pity on it last week.
I loaded some electric blue thread into my machine, attached my walking foot and started quilting.
Lots of straightish lines later the top was quilted. For the back of the quilt I used a piece of IKEA fabric I had in my stash that seemed to work well.
The finishing touch was some solid navy binding… nothing too fancy but I think it was what was called for.
So I have my first finished quilt for April. “Baby Blue” will be heading to Project Linus this month, as our chapter has a shortage of baby quilts at the moment… and I am off to sew more little bits of fabric together.