Pretty little thing…

Another 2017 finish for you this Friday, this time a little baby quilt I made…

pink drunkards path

This darling little quilt was made using the AccuQuilt  3 1/2 inch Drunkards Path die… I ran some of my pink and grey scraps through my cutter and had some fun.  The main problem with the cutter is that the curved units are so small and I did not have the patience to make a ton more curved blocks, so I improvised…

pink drunkards path detail

Or you could call it cheating… but I added some simple 4 inch patchwork squares in the middle of the the circles to get a decent sized quilt quickly.

pink circle detail

I liked the effect and I had another die to cut those squares too… really cheating.  I also kept the quilting simple and viola I had a finished quilt pretty quickly.

quilt and potted plant

Some scrappy binding and a single piece of fabric for the backing and I was done and the quilt was ready to gift to the local Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

Quilt Details:

Block:  Drunkards Path using AccuQuilt 3 1/2 inch Die
Fabric:  Pink & grey scraps
Size:  36 x 46 inches

Starflower Quilt block

For today’s Paper Piecing Monday block I did something a little different.  The block still uses the simple square block, but only one…

Starflower block..and yes kitties are still involved.  It follows the rules of the other vintage blocks – 9 patch of four-inch blocks blah blah blah…

componentsThe components of the block are…one (1)  WQ Simple square block, four (4) Triangle blocks and four (4) Starpoint component blocks.  Just click on the links to get the PDF of the patterns.

Starflower block 2So what did I do different…. I blew this block up to make a 21 inch block.

solid quilt block

As the local hospital was now requesting 42 inch square quilts, I thought this would be a great way to make a quick and easy baby quilt… and I was right.

simple modern baby quiltMy quilt is unbound, but you get the idea.  Simple pattern, bright solids and you have an easy quilt.  The pattern components are the same but just 7 inches instead of 4…XL Triangle component and XL Star component and of course XL Simple Square component.

 

 

Group effort quilts

First up I wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful, supportive comments that were left on my last post.  After being so nervous about sharing my story, you made me so glad I opened up.  Thank you.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming….today I am thrilled to share two finished quilts that were made as part of the Portland Modern Quilt Guild Charity Sew days….

Finished PMQG Charity quiltA fabulous group of ladies helped make blocks, piece and quilt these beauties which were made for local charity Camp Erin.  If you are interested in making your own simple quilt like this check out my post about the block we choose for directions.

Finished PMQG chairty quilt 2

The block was so simple but really effective – we managed to get two large tops made in one day.  At the same time we also managed to make sure that each top had its own unique flair.

PMQG charity quilt quilting detailFor both these quilts we used the Guild’s left over Riley Blake Challenge fabric. We had quite a few of our Guild members share their left over pieces with us with some added touches – Rachel supplied the coolest airplane fabric, Michelle supplied the navy umbrellas and I raided my stash for some Pearl Bracelets in navy, yellow and grey.

Quilt 2 detail 2Our two completed tops were then handed over to two of the Guild’s fabulous longarmers, Dawn and Jolene, who set to work weaving their magic.

Quilt backFor the backing we used some of the bigger pieces from the Riley Blake stash and I then add some scrappy binding for the finishing touch.

Scrappy bindingWe now have two fabulous teen boys quilts done and ready to add to our growing collection of quilts for Camp Erin.

Whoo we have a finish…

It has been over a month since I posted my last finished quilt and I am feeling a little slack for not finishing something up sooner… life really just kept getting in the way.  But after some quilting and binding I am pleased to present…

finished baby blue quilt…my baby blue log cabin quilt.   This quilt was made using scraps left over from the quilt I made my sister-in-law and the top was put together in record time… and then just sat with my other UFO’s until I took pity on it last week.

finished baby blue quilt detailI loaded some electric blue thread into my machine, attached my walking foot and started quilting.

finished baby blue quilting detailLots of straightish lines later the top was quilted.  For the back of the quilt I used a piece of IKEA fabric I had in my stash that seemed to work well.

finished baby blue backing 2The finishing touch was some solid navy binding… nothing too fancy but I think it was what was called for.

Finished baby blue bindingSo I have my first finished quilt for April.  “Baby Blue” will be heading to Project Linus this month, as our chapter has a shortage of baby quilts at the moment… and I am off to sew more little bits of fabric together.