The struggle is real…

For some unknown reason I have been struggling to get motivated to blog… I mean I have got procrastinating and deflecting down to a fine art by now.  I have been quilting away the last month or so, creating and having fun, but I have struggled to get back into the habit of photographing what I am doing.

The weather here in Portland has been unhelpful… I am sick of sticking my quilts on the back fence and photographing them… I have found no end of excuses to NOT post.  Finally last weekend my husband gave me a stern talking too and dragged me out to photograph some of my finished quilts.  Have I mentioned how much I love him!

Anyway here is the first quilt from the selection we photographed last weekend…

drunkard path quilt

This is one of my projects from 2014 (wow has it been that long!)… I am trying to get some old WIPS finished up.  I love this quilt… the solids play so nicely against the black and white prints.  You can see my original post for this quilt here

quilt details

For the quilting I used my domestic machine and walking foot to quilt round and round and round and round.  I picked one of the circles that was a little of center as the start for my quilting which means the finished radiating result is not dead center.

quilt detail 2

I still struggle to get a neat start to the circle quilting…it definitely gets easier and neater as you move outwards.

quilt detail 3

The back of the quilt was pieced using bits and pieces I had floating about my stash… including a nice chunk of old Ikea fabric (the black and white illustrations).

quilt back

The finishing touch was a scrappy binding using some of my left over solid scraps.  I am really thrilled with how this quilt finished up… and I am feeling motivated to try some more curves… they really are fun and easy.

More curves…

It seemed fitting to finish this week by sharing my most recent finish…which was also my first curved quilt EVER…

finished circle quilt

I started this quilt 2014 after being challenged to do some curved blocks for a quilting bee (thanks Michelle for the challenge!). For this top I used the EZ Circle ruler and the blocks are decidedly bigger than Monday’s adventure.  If you want to learn more about the making of this quilt you can check out my original post here

quilt detail 3

For this top I used a huge stack of solid scraps that I had in my stash…including Konas, Couture Cottons, Bella cottons and some American Made cottons.  I do not make a lot of solid only quilts but solids seemed like the perfect way learn to curve piece (no pattern distractions!)….

quilt detail 2

I am thrilled with how it all turned out.  I had Kazumi do some fabulous all over quilting on this baby…and I love the circles upon circles.  I was worried at first that the quilting may compete with the piecing but I think they work well together…

quilting detail 2

And there is no way I could have done anything this cool with the quilting by myself.  The quilt is backed with some fabulous IKEA fabric which seemed to compliment the crazy of the front of the quilt…

quilt back

A little scrappy binding and I have another quilt off my WIP list.  I am really rocking them this quarter… of course with some help from a very talented long arm quilter… it feels a little like cheating but I so love what Kazumi brings to my quilts.

Continuing the catch up with curves

I am still playing catch up… and today’s work in progress is another project that was on my design wall before we headed to Australia… to give you a hint it all started with this…

curve quilt top

Yep I have been making more curved blocks!  It is not my fault really…you see after cutting out this quilt (you can read about the original crazy here..) I realised I had a whole collection of pink/purple quarter circles… what is a girl to do but make more blocks out of the scraps.

So I made some Drunkard paths like this…

block component

Which became blocks like this…

bw circle block

So my design wall was looking like this…

circle wip

I played a little with proportions on this block, making the black and white background blocks larger than the background blocks of the previous quilt.  I think the solid circles hold their own well against the scrappy.

I also discovered that the smaller the circles get the harder the curved sewing becomes. This curved block is 11 inches finished, with the full circle being 8 inches in diameter.

Now of course I have a pile of black and white quarter circles, which are going to  become there own quilt… yes it is a rabbit hole of curves but I already have a cunning plan for the latest scraps… I just need the time to implement it!

As it is Wednesday I am linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced