After another absence I am back…this time with a block for my Do Good Stitches Bee. It is my month to set the block and after much back and forth I came up with this block….
To make this 12 1/2 inch block (unfinished) you will need:
5 (five) x 3 1/2 inch squares of your main color
10 (ten) x 3 1/2 inch squares of low volume prints
5 (five) x 1 1/2 inch squares of your secondary color
4 (four) x 1 1/2 inch squares of low volume prints
STEP ONE – Make the small cross
- Layout your 1 1/2 inch squares in the desired layout.
- Sew the three squares in three rows. Press seams as desired (I pressed mine open).
- Sew the rows together again pressing seams as desired (I pressed my seams open).
- Trim the finished block to 3 1/2 inches square.
STEP TWO – Make the block
Layout your block as below…
- Sew your squares into rows and then your rows into a block.
- Iron your seam as desired – I ironed mine open to get the block to sit as flat as I could.
- If required, trim final block to 12 1/2 inches. Repeat the process until you have as many blocks as you need….
Our quilt will be a rainbow of color, with each block having two bright colors per block… but I think it would be fun to do a block with just two colors – one for the big blocks and one for the small blocks.
As a caveat to this blog post it is the first one I have done on my new MacBook. My old computer gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago (one of the reasons I have not been posting) and I am still finding my way around this machine. My hope is a new computer will encourage me to post more… heres hoping!